Two Westport families were displaced from their homes following a stove fire at a townhome complex on Post Road East, according to the Westport Fire Department.
The Westport Fire Department received a call from the resident around 5:40 p.m., Tuesday, at 1655 Post Road East, Unit 2901, reporting a stove fire, Westport Fire officials said.
Once on scene, firefighters found an extinguished fire on the stove that had moved to the cabinets. The fire was extinguished prior to the Fire Department’s arrival by the fire sprinkler system. Fire damage was contained to the kitchen while significant water damage occurred in two units, officials said.
Representatives from the Fire Marshal’s Office responded and are conducting an investigation. The Westport Housing Authority is coordinating the cleaning and the temporary relocation of two families.
The Westport Fire Department reminds residents to pay careful attention while cooking at all times.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.