Contact Us
Stamford Daily Voice serves Stamford, CT
Return to your home site


Stamford Daily Voice serves Stamford, CT

Nearby Towns

police & fire

Police: Stamford Man, 29, Assaulted Teen, Then Turned On Officers

Christopher Murray of Stamford was charged with assaulting a teenager, trying to steal the victim's mother's car and then attacking the responding officers, police said. Photo Credit: Stamford Police Department
Stamford Police Sgt. Diedrich Hohn Photo Credit: Frank MacEachern, File

STAMFORD, Conn. — A 29-year-old Stamford man was arrested on multiple charges Thursday after assaulting a teenager who he thought was filming another assault on his cellphone and later attacking several responding Stamford police officers, police said.

"This assault and arrest shows the inherent danger the SPD is up against every day, and these officers did an exemplary job by bringing a violent suspect under control with restraint and professionalism," Stamford Police Lt. Diedrich Hohn said in a statement.

The case began at 2:09 p.m., when Stamford patrol officers responded to Cove Road and Dale Street on a report of an adult man assaulting a juvenile, Hohn said.

Two Stamford Deputy Fire Marshals who were driving by saw the assault and called police, Hohn said. They rendered medical assistance to the 14-year-old and provided a description of the suspect, he said.

While the injured teen was still on the ground, the victim's mother arrived, Hohn said. The suspect began to walk off, but then turned and attempted to steal the mother’s car as she was tending to her son, he said.

The suspect locked himself in the vehicle, but got out after realizing the keys were not there, Hohn said.

As the suspect was getting out of the vehicle, Officer Daniel Kokorros arrived and witnesses pointed out the suspect, Hohn said. Kokorros ordered the suspect, who was later identified as Christopher Murray, to stop, but Murray took off running across Dale Street, Hohn said.

Kokorros gave chase, but Murray turned and struck him in the face, Hohn said. A violent struggle then ensued, he said.

Officers Jeff Lund, Kevin Lochard and John Buehler arrived and joined the struggle to control Murray, Hohn said. After several minutes, Murray was brought under control and apprehended, he said.

Officers discovered that Murray had been involved in an earlier altercation with another male and thought the 14-year-old was filming them, Hohn said.

Murray asked the teen for his cellphone and when he said no, Murray attacked the juvenile, Hohn said. The teen suffered a cut under his right eye and facial swelling, he said.

Murray was transported to police headquarters and treated later for facial bruises, Hohn said.

The juvenile was transported to the hospital and needed several stitches, Hohn said.

Several officers were treated and released from the hospital after the incident, but no serious injuries were reported.

Murray was charged with third-degree assault, risk of injury to a minor, third-degree criminal attempt at larceny, assault on a police officer and breach of peace. He was held on $100,000 bond.

The Stamford Police Department commended Kokorros, Lund, Lochard and Buehler "for their actions in this senseless assault against an innocent juvenile and the police itself," the statement from Hohn said.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Stamford Daily Voice!

Get the news you need to know on the go.

Welcome to

Stamford Daily Voice!

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.