STAMFORD, CONN. -- A man who robbed a grocery store in Stamford – and several establishments in Bridgeport – during a week-long crime spree last year has been sentenced to 14 years in federal prison, according to Deirdre M. Daly, U.S. attorney for the District of Connecticut.
Francis Manigault, 32, of New York City, was also sentenced by a Hartford judge to five years of supervised release for committing five armed robberies in summer 2015.
The Stamford shop robbed on July 1 was the West Main Street Grocery at 495 West Main St., Daly said,
In Bridgeport, Manigault hit George’s Market, 175 Pequonnock St/ (June 27); B & M Grocery and Deli, 942 East Main St. (June 28); Rodriguez Market, 384 Brooks St. (June 29); a Subway restaurant, 1552 Wood Ave. (June 29.)
Just minutes after the Stamford robbery, local police found Manigault on Virgil Street, Daly said.
The Stamford Advocate reported at the time that Manigault bolted and threw down a loaded .40 mm handgun after he realized he had been spotted.
He was cornered a short time later and surrendered, the Stamford Advocate reported.
The gun had been reported stolen in North Carolina, she added.
Manigault pleaded guilty in October to two counts of interference with commerce by robbery and one count of brandishing a firearm during and in relation to a crime of violence, Daly said.
This investigation was conducted by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Stamford Police Department and the Bridgeport Police Department.
The case was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Amy C. Brown.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.