Contact Us
Stamford Daily Voice serves Stamford, CT
Return to your home site


Stamford Daily Voice serves Stamford, CT

Nearby Towns

Breaking News: Middle School In Westport Will Remain Closed Through June Due To Mold Issue
police & fire

Man Captured After Running Out Of Stamford Police HQ During Questioning

Jeremy Robinson
Jeremy Robinson Photo Credit: Stamford Police Department

STAMFORD, Conn. -- Stamford Police keep getting their man — in this case the same man — after a Friday car chase and a Wednesday afternoon foot pursuit when the man bolted from the police station while being questioned, police said.

It was the second time in a few days that Jeremy Robinson, 24, of Waterbury, allegedly led officers on a chase with the first one occurring Friday night in a car chase, police said. He was captured in that incident and charged, police said.

Robinson was questioned Wednesday afternoon by members of the Narcotic and Organized Crime unit about the Friday incident in which he had been charged with gun possession. He made bond on those charges and Assistant Chief James Matheny said Robinson agreed to return on Monday for more questioning.

Officers had just about wrapped up questioning when they were informed another warrant for Robinson on an unrelated case was being carried to the police station from the court next door, police said. From the officers' comments, Robinson believed they were going to question him about that and he decided to bolt, Matheny said.

"He just jumped up and took off," Matheny said, adding that Robinson was able to free himself of the grasp of an officer who attempted to grab his shirt. He ran out of the building but damaged an interior door in his bid to escape, police said.

He ran out on to Hoyt Street and was eventually captured in the backyard of a residence behind 39 Hoyt St., Matheny said.

"There was a pretty ferocious struggled. A couple of our guys got hurt," Matheny said.

Three officers in all suffered slight injuries and were all treated and released from the hospital, Matheny said.

"In my recollection I can't think of anyone getting out of the building," said Matheny, who added that Robinson was solely being questioned and was not in custody at the time of the incident.

"He didn't escape, he wasn't in custody, he wasn't handcuffed or anything like that," Matheny said. "He literally just grabbed the door and took off. He was able to get out through three or four doors and make it out on to the street."

Robinson is facing charges of resisting arrest and criminal mischief — for breaking a door leading into the the police lobby — during his dash for freedom. Bond was set at $100,000 in the case. Bond has been set at $250,000 in connection with the Friday arrest.

"It was an exciting yesterday," Matheny said. "It's not often that it starts here."

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Stamford Daily Voice!

Get the news you need to know on the go.

Welcome to

Stamford Daily Voice!

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.