A puppy choked on his own leash after being left in the car while his owners went to lunch, according to the Stamford Police.
The incident took place Saturday on Canal Street when the owner's attached the leash to their puppy, named Piggy, to the rear seat, rolled down the windows, and parked in the shade before going to lunch at Dinosaur Bar-B-Que, said Stamford Police Sgt. Brain Butler.
When officers received a call that a dog was hanging out a window by its leash, police rushed to the area, he said.
Sgt. Sean McGowan and officer William Petrone arrived quickly and determined that the little puppy had jumped out the window and choked to death, police said.
The two officers found the heartbroken owners at the nearby restaurant.
Animal Control officials tested the temperature in the car and found it was 65 degrees and that the owners had also left a bowl of water.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.