STAMFORD, Conn. — The Force was strong Thursday evening in theaters in Fairfield County and across the country, as fans of all ages flocked to see the brand-spanking new, highly anticipated Star Wars film — "Star Wars: The Force Awakens."
How do you think the new "Star Wars" movie will compare to previous films in the series?
I think it will be better than the originals
It will be good, but not as good as the original trilogy
It will be worse than the prequels
I'm not going to see it
Stamford's Bow Tie Majestic 6 debuted the film Thursday evening with at least five different showings. A steady stream of ticket buyers were heading toward the concession stand and theaters throughout the evening.
Some movie fans carried light sabers, some wore "Star Wars" T-shirts, and others were decked out in items of clothing from the previous movies.
They were all ready for a good time.
"We all love the 'Star Wars' movies," said Jon Richards, of Stamford, who was there to see the film with his two boys. "They've watched the older movies and loved them ... all the characters ... so we had to see this one. They've been waiting for this."
Early reviews of the new film — the seventh installment in the franchise — have been positive.
The seventh entry in the beloved sci-fi franchise has also broken records for ticket pre-sales, and is expected to pull in more than $200 million in its opening weekend, according to Variety .
Anticipation has been high for the film since it was first announced in 2012, with every new bit of information, casting announcement, rumor and trailer garnering widespread coverage in media around the world even as the storyline remained shrouded in secrecy.
Here are some theaters around Fairfield County that will be showing "The Force Awakens:"
- Fairfield Cinemas, 40 Blackrock Turnpike, Fairfield
- Showcase Bridgeport at Blackrock, 286 Canfield Ave., Bridgeport
- Bowtie Cinemas Royale 6, 542 Westport Ave., Norwalk
- Bow Tie Cinemas Marquis 16 & BTX, 100 Quarry Road, Trumbull
- Bow Tie Cinemas Sono Regent 8, 66 N. Main St., Norwalk
- Bow Tie Cinemas Wilton 4, 21 River Road, Wilton
- Darien Playhouse, 1077 Boston Post Road, Darien
- Bow Tie Cinemas Majestic 6, 118 Summer St., Stamford
- Prospector Theater, 25 Prospect St., Ridgefield
- AMC Loews Danbury 16, 61 Eagle Road, Danbury
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.