FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- A day after its dramatic shootout victory over Russia, the U.S. men's hockey team topped Slovenia, 5-1, on Sunday to advance to the playoff qualifying round in the Olympic Games in Sochi, Russia.
Phil Kessel of the Toronto Maple Leafs scored a hat trick, with one goal each from Ryan McDonagh and David Backes in the game at Shayba Arena in the final preliminary-round game.
Hamden native Jonathan Quick got a day off in goal after the eight-round shootout Saturday with Russia. Greenwich native Kevin Shattenkirk and New Canaan native Max Pacioretty are also members of Team USA.
U.S. men's hockey previously defeated Slovakia, 7-1, and edged Russia, 3-2, to complete Olypmic preliminary-round play with a 3-0 record.
Russia topped Slovakia, 1-0, in an overtime shootout on Sunday morning to also advance to the playoff qualifying round.
The men's hockey playoff qualifying round begins Tuesday.
- 1 Man With Knife Robs Man Walking Dog, Stamford Police Say
- 2 No Injuries Reported In Car Fire On Merritt Parkway In Greenwich
- 3 NYC Doctor Is First Person In The Tristate Area To Test Positive For Ebola
- 4 Stamford Commission Seeks New Ways To Use Old Buildings
- 5 First Niagara To Close Bank Branch In Stamford