FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- A day after its dramatic shootout victory over Russia, the U.S. men's hockey team topped Slovenia, 5-1, on Sunday to advance to the playoff qualifying round in the Olympic Games in Sochi, Russia.
Phil Kessel of the Toronto Maple Leafs scored a hat trick, with one goal each from Ryan McDonagh and David Backes in the game at Shayba Arena in the final preliminary-round game.
Hamden native Jonathan Quick got a day off in goal after the eight-round shootout Saturday with Russia. Greenwich native Kevin Shattenkirk and New Canaan native Max Pacioretty are also members of Team USA.
U.S. men's hockey previously defeated Slovakia, 7-1, and edged Russia, 3-2, to complete Olypmic preliminary-round play with a 3-0 record.
Russia topped Slovakia, 1-0, in an overtime shootout on Sunday morning to also advance to the playoff qualifying round.
The men's hockey playoff qualifying round begins Tuesday.
- 1 Grad From Stamford's Westhill High In Line To Become Nike Chairman
- 2 Malloy Defends Record In Speech Before Business Council Of Fairfield County
- 3 Former Stamford Resident Resigns From Toyota After Drug Bust In Japan
- 4 New Facebook Scam Could Cost You
- 5 July 4 Terror Threat 'Nothing Routine,' Says Former CIA Deputy Director