FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- A day after its dramatic shootout victory over Russia, the U.S. men's hockey team topped Slovenia, 5-1, on Sunday to advance to the playoff qualifying round in the Olympic Games in Sochi, Russia.
Phil Kessel of the Toronto Maple Leafs scored a hat trick, with one goal each from Ryan McDonagh and David Backes in the game at Shayba Arena in the final preliminary-round game.
Hamden native Jonathan Quick got a day off in goal after the eight-round shootout Saturday with Russia. Greenwich native Kevin Shattenkirk and New Canaan native Max Pacioretty are also members of Team USA.
U.S. men's hockey previously defeated Slovakia, 7-1, and edged Russia, 3-2, to complete Olypmic preliminary-round play with a 3-0 record.
Russia topped Slovakia, 1-0, in an overtime shootout on Sunday morning to also advance to the playoff qualifying round.
The men's hockey playoff qualifying round begins Tuesday.
- 1 Embattled Stamford High School Appoints Two New Assistant Principals
- 2 Filmmaker Records Stamford's Memories In New Documentary
- 3 Police: Stamford Man Hit Woman With Two Chairs After Dispute Over Music
- 4 New Canaan Man Accused Of Sexually Assaulting 3-Year-Old At Wife's Day Care
- 5 Drenching Thunderstorms Headed To Stamford