STAMFORD, Conn. -- The 10/11-year-old All Stars of Springdale Little League steamrolled opposition on their way to winning the Connecticut District 1 tournament.
Concluding with a 9-4 victory Saturday over Stamford National Little League, the Springdale 10/11s led their opponents by the end of every inning, except two, en route to a 7-0 record in tournament.
The team scored 81 runs in total while yielding just 13, resulting in five of the team’s seven games being won in “mercy-rule” shortened fashion as Springdale held a lead of 10 or more runs by the end of the fourth or fifth inning.
“I am proud of all who make up this team. It's proven what hard work and a steadfast commitment can do. Everyone is committed to our style of play and program,” said Springdale Manager Tom Piersa, who was assisted by coaches Tim Nash and Jeff Teasdale.
The Springdale 10/11s now advance to the state sectional tournament in hope of eventually winning the Connecticut title. Springdale plays the state’s District 4 champion in its first game 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, July 16, at Unity Field in Trumbull.
The top two-thirds of Springdale’s formable lineup – Dave Collazo, Matt Jester, Todd Guttman, Jay Lockwood, Calvin McKeever and Ben Nash – combined to club 18 home runs in the tournament. The team hit multiple round-trippers in all but one game.
The team’s reserves of Joe Johnson, Justin Palmer, Aiden Rella and Tyler Tuccinardi also provided regular firepower off the bench, including several games in which a combination of the two or three of them provided back-to-back(-to-back) pinch hits.
The pop at the plate was complemented by the pitching prowess of Collazo, Jester, Lockwood, McKeever and Patrick Teasdale. The Springdale hurlers teamed to toss shutouts in three games, and limit opponents to less than three runs in two others.
Speedy outfielders Jaden Dawkins and Ameer Theodore rounded out the Springdale game with solid plays and throws that halted opposing offenses cold.
Springdale moves on to play in the Division 1 tournament beginning Wednesday at Unity Park in Trumbull. Springdale plays the District 4 champion on Wednesday at 5:30 p.m. The complete schedule is on the Connecticut Little League website.
Connecticut District One Little League results: 10/11-year-olds
- June 29 – Springdale 10, Ridgefield 6
- June 30 – Springdale 14, Darien National 0 (4 innings)
- July 3 – Springdale 12, Darien American 0 (5 innings)
- July 5 – Springdale 14, Weston 2 (4 innings)
- July 7 – Springdale 12, Norwalk 1 (4 innings)
- July 10 – Springdale 10, Stamford National 0 (4 innings)
- July 12 – Springdale 9, Stamford National 4
- 1 Grad From Stamford's Westhill High In Line To Become Nike Chairman
- 2 Malloy Defends Record In Speech Before Business Council Of Fairfield County
- 3 New Facebook Scam Could Cost You
- 4 Former Stamford Resident Resigns From Toyota After Drug Bust In Japan
- 5 Two Men Charged In Armed Robbery Of Stamford Convenience Store