STAMFORD, Conn. -- The Connecticut Football Club (CFC) Chelsea Piers Girls under-13 girls soccer team won the Needham Memorial Day Tournament in Needham, Mass., over Memorial Day weekend.
Girls from Stamford, Norwalk, Darien, Greenwich and New Canaan play for the Chelsea Piers team.
The team put on an impressive performance during the tournament, including allowing just one goal throughout the entire 300 minutes of play.
After defeating Alliance FC of NH, FC Stars of MA, and New England Football Club Central in the first round of the tournament, CFC Chelsea Piers moved on to the semifinals. CFC Chelsea Piers beat Alliance FC, 2-0. In the championship game, CFC Chelsea Piers won, 3-0, over the GPS Lady Cavaliers Elite.
Girls on the team are Mikayla Fosina and Tara Hufnagel, Norwalk; Libby Markham, Libby Branca, Anna Edwards, Sophia Cortalessi, Anna Fox, Hannah Mathew, Ellen Harnish and Nathalie Bravo of Darien; Stamford's Samantha Page, Lily Gubernick and Keri Gallagher; Olivia Cosco and Kendall Patten of New Canaan; Samantha Sias and Sophia Ruelle of Old Greenwich; Nicole Huber of Greenwich; and Sierra Clarke of Stratford.
“We could not be happier with the girls’ performance in the tournament,” head coach Ross Stride said. “Every player on the team has been training extremely hard and it’s great to see their dedication and teamwork pay off."
- 1 Police: Stamford Man, 85, Hit Wife In Head With Ax In Dispute Over Food
- 2 Stamford Woman Killed In Motorcycle Crash On Route 7 In Wilton
- 3 Driver Injured As Car Goes Down Embankment Off Merritt Near Stamford Border
- 4 Stamford Man Charged With DWI In Head-On Collision
- 5 Jerome Kohlberg, Billionaire Area Businessman, Philanthropist, Dies