FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. – Runners from Stamford and Darien set state records Friday in separate races around the region.
Westhill senior Claire Howlett won the 5,000 meters in 16:28.71 at the Spartan Midnight Sunrise Invite at Amity High School in Woodbridge. Darien junior Alex Ostberg ran 8:52.64 in the 3,200 meters at the Glenn D. Loucks Game in White Plains, N.Y.
Howlett’s time obliterated the previous state best of 16:45.56, which she set last year, according to statistics on DyeStat.com, The time for the Stanford University-bound senior is the best in the United States by more than a minute. Maddy Reed of Texas has the second best 5K time in the country, 17:29.49, according to DyeStat.
Ostberg finished second in the 3,200 at the Loucks Games despite setting the state record. Dan Curts of Ellsworth, Maine, won the race in 8:51.24. Both times were under the previous meet record of 8:56.02 set in 2011.
Ostberg’s time broke the previous state record of 8:58.16 set by Chris Bendsten of Wolcott in 2010. Ostberg’s time is the seventh best in the United States, according to Dye Stat.
- 1 Stamford Police Arrest Armed Man After Tense Standoff At Pizza Place
- 2 Major Nor'easter Heads Toward Stamford, Blizzard Watch Issued
- 3 18-24 Inches Of Snow Now Possible In Stamford; Blizzard Warning Issued
- 4 Stamford Residents Warned To Prepare For Approaching Blizzard
- 5 Teen Reported Missing A Month Ago In Norwalk Found Safe In Fairfield