FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. – Runners from Stamford and Darien set state records Friday in separate races around the region.
Westhill senior Claire Howlett won the 5,000 meters in 16:28.71 at the Spartan Midnight Sunrise Invite at Amity High School in Woodbridge. Darien junior Alex Ostberg ran 8:52.64 in the 3,200 meters at the Glenn D. Loucks Game in White Plains, N.Y.
Howlett’s time obliterated the previous state best of 16:45.56, which she set last year, according to statistics on DyeStat.com, The time for the Stanford University-bound senior is the best in the United States by more than a minute. Maddy Reed of Texas has the second best 5K time in the country, 17:29.49, according to DyeStat.
Ostberg finished second in the 3,200 at the Loucks Games despite setting the state record. Dan Curts of Ellsworth, Maine, won the race in 8:51.24. Both times were under the previous meet record of 8:56.02 set in 2011.
Ostberg’s time broke the previous state record of 8:58.16 set by Chris Bendsten of Wolcott in 2010. Ostberg’s time is the seventh best in the United States, according to Dye Stat.
- 1 Suspects In Custody After Shooters Fled From Stamford To Norwalk
- 2 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In Stamford
- 3 Stamford Man Who Defrauded Clients Of $191K Gets One Year In Prison
- 4 One Man Dead After Altercation On Route 25/8 Ramp In Bridgeport
- 5 Giuseppe And Livia Fortuna, 91 And 86, Of Stamford