RIDGEFIELD, Conn. -- Support signs for Ridgefield luger Tucker West have popped up throughout town in the past week as the Winter Olympics prepare to open in Sochi, Russia.
Opening ceremonies for the Winter Games are planned for Thursday. West's first race is scheduled for Saturday morning.
Many Ridgefield residents purchased "Team Tucker" T-shirts last week to support the 18-year-old luger, who was named to the team in December. He is the youngest person ever named to the U.S. luge team. Team Tucker posters and banners with the Olympic rings have also been visible around Ridgefield.
The Ridgefield Playhouse will host a free event Saturday beginning at 9 a.m. to watch West compete in his first race at the Winter Olympics.
Fans who want to keep up with West while in Sochi can visit the Team Tucker Facebook page.
- 1 Police: Missing Stamford Man Found Dead On Shippan Beach
- 2 Man Robbed While Walking Up To Third Floor Apartment, Stamford Police Say
- 3 Police: Body Of Young Man Found In Stamford Harbor
- 4 Pedestrian Struck, Killed By Train At Fairfield Station
- 5 Snow Could Be Returning To Stamford For Monday Morning Commute