STAMFORD, Conn. – More than 500 kids from four different Fairfield County towns learned an important lesson in staying active and exercising at the second annual Chelsea Cohen Fitness Academy Jamboree, held at Westhill High School in Stamford on Wednesday.
Campers played through the heat at 10 different exercise stations set up on the Westhill football field. From foot races to football, learning proper muscle stretches to soccer, kids participated through the soaring temperatures.
Water stations were positioned all around the field to keep the children hydrated.
Created in 2010, the Chelsea Cohen Fitness Academy promotes a healthy lifestyle through physical activity and proper nutrition, according to its website. Children ranging from age 8 to 15 participated in the day's events.
The organizations that participated included the Carver Center in Norwalk, the Greenwich Boys & Girls' Club, the Stamford Boys & Girls' Club, the Stamford YMCA, the Yerwood Center in Stamford and the Cardinal Shehan Center in Bridgeport.
Chelsea Cohen, a graduate of Norwalk High School, was a standout soccer player who passed away after a bout with cancer in 2006 at age 19.
Watch the above video for highlights and interviews from the second annual jamboree.
Video shot and edited by Eric Gendron
- 1 Police: Stamford Man, 85, Hit Wife In Head With Ax In Dispute Over Food
- 2 Greenwich Girl, 17, Issued Tickets In Boating Death Of Friend Last Summer
- 3 Stamford Woman Killed In Motorcycle Crash On Route 7 In Wilton
- 4 Driver Injured As Car Goes Down Embankment Off Merritt Near Stamford Border
- 5 Stamford Man Charged With DWI In Head-On Collision