DARIEN, Conn. – Darien’s Alex Ostberg won the 5,000-meter championship Friday at the New Balance Outdoor Nationals in North Carolina.
Ostberg finished in 14:16.61 for the 3.1-mile distance, the fastest time in the United States this year and the second fastest time in the history of the race.
Elijah Armstrong of Idaho finished a distance second in 14:29.58 as Ostberg broke from the pack midway through the race and never looked back.
Ostberg ran with the leaders early in the race, and took the lead for good midway through. Once Ostberg made his move, there was no catching him. Armstrong tried to keep the pace, but fell back with about a mile to go as Ostberg continued to extend his lead.
It is the most significant win in the running career of Ostberg, who finished second in the 3,200 and third in the 1,600 at the State Open on Monday. Ostberg’s big day at the Open helped the Blue Wave win their first State Open title.
- 1 Author Polacco To Visit Elementary Kids In Stamford
- 2 Former White Plains Officer Left Suicide Note At Harrison Murder Scene
- 3 Some Of The Best Pizza In Connecticut Is Found In Stamford
- 4 Chance Of Snow Returns To Stamford Overnight
- 5 Head Of Yoga Empire With Fairfield County Locations Faces Rape Allegation