FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. – Players from Connecticut helped the United States defeat Slovakia, 7-1, in a men’s opening hockey game Thursday at the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
New Canaan’s Max Pacioretty and Greenwich native Kevin Shattenkirk picked up assists for Team USA. Hamden native Jonathan Quick stopped 22 of 23 shots in goal.
Team USA broke the game open with six goals in the second period. Paul Stastny, who plays on a line with Pacioretty, scored two goals. John Carlson, Ryan Kesler, David Backes, Phil Kessel and Dustin Brown also scored for Team USA.
Pacioretty assisted on Statsny’s first goal, which came 2:32 into the second period and gave the U.S. a 3-1 lead. Shattenkirk, a defenseman, assisted on Stastny’s goal in 13:30 into the second period and gave Team USA a 5-1 lead.
Team USA plays Saturday against Russia. Faceoff is scheduled for 7:30 a.m. EST.
- 1 Snow Could Be Returning To Stamford
- 2 Police: Stamford Woman, 76, Beaten By Son Dies Of Injuries
- 3 Car Rollover On I-95 In Fairfield Requires Complicated Extractions
- 4 Man Robbed While Walking Up To Third Floor Apartment, Stamford Police Say
- 5 Snow Could Be Returning To Stamford For Monday Morning Commute