FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. – Players from Connecticut helped the United States defeat Slovakia, 7-1, in a men’s opening hockey game Thursday at the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
New Canaan’s Max Pacioretty and Greenwich native Kevin Shattenkirk picked up assists for Team USA. Hamden native Jonathan Quick stopped 22 of 23 shots in goal.
Team USA broke the game open with six goals in the second period. Paul Stastny, who plays on a line with Pacioretty, scored two goals. John Carlson, Ryan Kesler, David Backes, Phil Kessel and Dustin Brown also scored for Team USA.
Pacioretty assisted on Statsny’s first goal, which came 2:32 into the second period and gave the U.S. a 3-1 lead. Shattenkirk, a defenseman, assisted on Stastny’s goal in 13:30 into the second period and gave Team USA a 5-1 lead.
Team USA plays Saturday against Russia. Faceoff is scheduled for 7:30 a.m. EST.
- 1 Connecticut OKs Funding To Replace Metro-North Bridge In Norwalk
- 2 Stamford Takes Big Steps, Installs Stanchions To Improve Crosswalk Safety
- 3 Connecticut Sends Jumbo Snowblowers To Help Dig Out Buffalo
- 4 Connecticut Report Cites Missed Opportunities To Help Sandy Hook Shooter
- 5 'Tis The Season For Networking: New Group Forms In Stamford