FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. – The U.S. women’s hockey team meets Canada for the gold medal at noon Thursday in one of the most anticipated showdowns of the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
Fairfield’s Julie Chu is a member of Team USA and is playing in her fourth Olympics.
Canada has won the gold medal in the last three Olympic games, while Team USA took the silver medal in 2002 and 2010. The U.S. won bronze in 2006. Team USA’s only gold medal in women’s hockey at the Olympics came in 1998.
Team Canada edged the United States, 3-2, in a preliminary round game Feb. 12. While Canada has dominated in the Olympics, Team USA has won the International Hockey Federation’s World Champion four of the last times it has been played. The tournament is not played during Olympic years.
Team USA beat Sweden in the semifinals, 6-1, while Canada defeated Switzerland, 3-1, to advance to the title game.
- 1 Grad From Stamford's Westhill High In Line To Become Nike Chairman
- 2 New Scam Showing Up On Facebook Could Cost You Lots Of Money
- 3 Malloy Defends Record In Speech Before Business Council Of Fairfield County
- 4 Former Stamford Resident Resigns From Toyota After Drug Bust In Japan
- 5 Two Men Charged In Armed Robbery Of Stamford Convenience Store