STAMFORD, Conn. -- Westhill High School in Stamford has been named one of the most challenging high schools in Connecticut, ranking sixth in the state and third in Fairfield County, according to a new national study of public and private high schools conducted by the Washington Post.
According to the report, the study ranks schools through an index formula that is a simple ratio: the number of Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate and Advanced International Certificate of Education tests given at a school each year, divided by the number of seniors who graduated that year. A ratio of 1.000 means the school had as many tests as graduates.
Also noted are the percentage of students who come from families that qualify for lunch subsidies and the percentage of graduates who passed at least one college-level test during their high school career, called equity and excellence, according to the report.
Westhill High School received an index score of 2.439 with its average SAT score of 1,720, an average ACT score of 28 and an offering of 20 Advanced Placement courses.
Westhill also was ranked the 108th-most challenging school in the Northeast region and 768th nationally.
Connecticut International Baccalaureate Academy in East Hartford was ranked the most challenging school in Connecticut with an index of 5.351. American Indian Public Charter School in Oakland, Calif., was named the most challenging school in America with an index of 21.909 in the Post's study.
The most challenging high schools in Fairfield County that qualified for the study are:
1. Weston High School (2.780)
2. Ridgefield High School (2.723)
3. Westhill High School (2.439)
4. Staples High School (2.351)
5. Greenwich High School (2.303)
6. New Canaan High School (1.928)
- 1 Administrators Arrested In Teacher Sex Case Won't Return To Stamford High
- 2 Bridgeport/Stamford Area Ranked As Most Unequal Place In Nation
- 3 Principal, Assistant Won't Return To Stamford High After Teacher Sex Case
- 4 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In Stamford
- 5 Giuseppe And Livia Fortuna, 91 And 86, Of Stamford