STAMFORD, Conn. -- Ten students from Stamford Public Schools recently qualified for the Connecticut Music Educators Association Western Regional High School Festival and the Western Region Middle School Festival respectively.
Thousands of students across the state auditioned before a panel of professionals to be considered. Each student was required to perform an advanced repertoire in his or her specialty area: Orchestra, Concert Band or Chorus. Those students who scored above a designated threshold were invited to perform at the festival, which comprises the top high school or middle school instrumental or choral students in the western part of the state.
Qualifying high school choral students, under the direction of Jonathan Curri, Westhill High School (WHS) and Gloria Sinaguglia, Stamford High School (SHS):
- Will Bruno, Westhill, senior, bass
- Benjamin Freedman, Westhill senior, tenor
- Brianna Jean, Stamford, junior, alto
- Marcos Pinto-Leite , Westhill, junior, tenor
- Andrew Putterman, Westhill, senior, tenor
- Nicholas Smeriglio , Westhill, senior, bass
- Breena Toussaint, Stamford senior, alto
Qualifying high school instrumental students, under the direction of George Beratis (SHS) and Michael Wyatt (WHS):
- Joan Perez, Stamford, sophomore, alto saxophone
- Brian Kaether , Westhill , junior, violin
- Noah Schaffer, Westhill, junior, snare drum
Qualifying middle school choral students, under the direction of Josh Sette:
- Camille Barry, Rogers International School, 6th grade, alto
- Mary Chobanyan, Rogers International School, 8th grade, soprano
- Julieta Kuri, Rogers International School, 6th grade, soprano
- Briana Ortiz, Rogers International School, 7th grade, alto,
- Emmy Sigtryggsson, Rogers International School, 7th grade, alto
- Aaron Lane, Turn of River, 8th grade, clarinet
- Benjamin Yudolovich , Dolan Middle School, 6th grade, clarinet
The CMEA Western Region High School Festival will take place Jan. 13 and 14 at Staples High School in Westport. The CMEA Western Regional Middle School Festival will take place March 17 and 18 at Wilton High School in Wilton.