STAMFORD, Conn. – The Stamford Public Education Foundation is hosting a Summer Book Giveaway from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 14, at Chester Addison/Southwood Square at 345 Selleck St.
The foundation has handed out thousands of books and served hundreds of children during the past two years.
The book giveaways in the past have been semiannual events, and have taken place at The Ferguson Library’s main branch each spring and fall. Thanks to two partnership fundraising campaigns – Reading is Fundamental and Be Book Smart – the foundation has arranged eight book giveaways this summer.
The books have helped keep Stamford students from experiencing reading loss and resulting reduction of literacy skills. According to a survey by Harris Poll, children spend almost three times as long watching TV and/or playing video games than they do reading throughout the summer.
Children are welcome to stop by and pick up a free book.
- 1 Thunderstorms Could Produce Gusty Winds, Hail In Stamford
- 2 Young Stamford Gymnast Vaults To Forefront In State Competition
- 3 Man Found Dead In Car In Grocery Store Parking Lot In Fairfield
- 4 Nearly 1M Bicycles Recalled After Rider Is Paralyzed
- 5 Police Seeking Public's Help In Search For Missing Greenwich Teenage Girl