STAMFORD, Conn. – The Stamford Public Education Foundation is hosting a Summer Book Giveaway from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 14, at Chester Addison/Southwood Square at 345 Selleck St.
The foundation has handed out thousands of books and served hundreds of children during the past two years.
The book giveaways in the past have been semiannual events, and have taken place at The Ferguson Library’s main branch each spring and fall. Thanks to two partnership fundraising campaigns – Reading is Fundamental and Be Book Smart – the foundation has arranged eight book giveaways this summer.
The books have helped keep Stamford students from experiencing reading loss and resulting reduction of literacy skills. According to a survey by Harris Poll, children spend almost three times as long watching TV and/or playing video games than they do reading throughout the summer.
Children are welcome to stop by and pick up a free book.
- 1 Stamford Will See Widespread Snow Sunday Into Monday
- 2 Stamford Man Sentenced To 3 Years For Mortgage Fraud
- 3 March Comes In Like A Lion As Latest Snowstorm Hits Stamford
- 4 Disabled Vehicle Cleared From Snow-Covered Merritt Parkway In Stamford
- 5 Former NBA All-Star, New York Knicks Player Anthony Mason Dies At 48