STAMFORD, Conn. – The Stamford Public Education Foundation is hosting a Summer Book Giveaway from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 14, at Chester Addison/Southwood Square at 345 Selleck St.
The foundation has handed out thousands of books and served hundreds of children during the past two years.
The book giveaways in the past have been semiannual events, and have taken place at The Ferguson Library’s main branch each spring and fall. Thanks to two partnership fundraising campaigns – Reading is Fundamental and Be Book Smart – the foundation has arranged eight book giveaways this summer.
The books have helped keep Stamford students from experiencing reading loss and resulting reduction of literacy skills. According to a survey by Harris Poll, children spend almost three times as long watching TV and/or playing video games than they do reading throughout the summer.
Children are welcome to stop by and pick up a free book.
- 1 Stamford Man Charged With Spitting At Cabbie During Traffic Dispute
- 2 Stamford's First Snowfall Of Season Could Arrive Over Weekend
- 3 Merritt Reopens In Greenwich After Truck Slams Into Bridge, Catches Fire
- 4 Popular Armonk Restaurant Plans Stamford Opening
- 5 Stamford Woman Running NYC Marathon To Support Norwalk Foundation