STAMFORD, Conn. – The Stamford Public Education Foundation is hosting a Summer Book Giveaway from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 14, at Chester Addison/Southwood Square at 345 Selleck St.
The foundation has handed out thousands of books and served hundreds of children during the past two years.
The book giveaways in the past have been semiannual events, and have taken place at The Ferguson Library’s main branch each spring and fall. Thanks to two partnership fundraising campaigns – Reading is Fundamental and Be Book Smart – the foundation has arranged eight book giveaways this summer.
The books have helped keep Stamford students from experiencing reading loss and resulting reduction of literacy skills. According to a survey by Harris Poll, children spend almost three times as long watching TV and/or playing video games than they do reading throughout the summer.
Children are welcome to stop by and pick up a free book.
- 1 Police: Stamford Man, 85, Hit Wife In Head With Ax In Dispute Over Food
- 2 Stamford Woman Killed In Motorcycle Crash On Route 7 In Wilton
- 3 Driver Injured As Car Goes Down Embankment Off Merritt Near Stamford Border
- 4 Stamford Man Charged With DWI In Head-On Collision
- 5 Stamford Man Charged In Assault On Darien Girlfriend