FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- Gov. Dannel P. Malloy announced he is proposing an increase of more than $6.5 million during the upcoming regular session of the General Assembly to expand Connecticut's Elderly Renters’ Rebate Program.
Malloy joined Lt. Gov. Nancy Wyman, state Department of Aging Commissioner Edith Prague and state and local officials in making the announcement this week. The Elderly Renters’ Rebate Program provides direct, partial reimbursement to lower income elderly or 100 percent disabled renters to help offset a portion of their rent and utility expenses. The program has been in effect since 1974.
“Connecticut’s senior population is already one of the largest in the country and continues to grow – something we need to take into account when we make strategic decisions about the future of our state,” said Malloy in a release. “We are taking the necessary steps now to ensure we can support the growing needs of our elderly residents, which includes giving seniors the right amount of support and access to a living situation that is safe, decent and affordable.”
Malloy added that about 40,000 residents benefit from the program each year.
"This expansion – an increase of more than 30 percent – will help thousands of additional senior citizens stay in their communities," he said in the release.
The program provides for payments ranging from $50 to $900 for qualifying married persons, and $50 to $700 for qualifying single persons. In order to qualify, married persons must have an annual income not greater than $41,600, and single persons must have an annual income not greater than $34,100, according to the release.
“Being able to stay in their own home is an enormous priority for so many of our seniors,” said Wyman. “This program has a direct impact on the quality of life not only for them, but for entire families, and I am proud that our administration is taking steps to reinvigorate it.”
The General Assembly passed legislation last year that closed the Elderly Renters’ Rebate Program to any new applicants as of April 1, 2013, or previous applicants who did not receive a grant for calendar year 2011. Malloy’s proposal would re-open the program to new applicants, allowing an additional 12,700 senior citizens to apply for the rebate.
“We know that the demand for programs that serve our seniors will increase dramatically in the coming years and I am committed to preparing the state to meet this demand,” said Prague. “The Rebate Program helps some of our most vulnerable citizens – lower income elderly and disabled persons who rent. This expansion will help so many more senior citizens live with dignity and independence.”
Questions about the program and payments should be directed to the Renter’s Rebate Hotline at 860-418-6377.
- 1 Major Nor'easter Heads Toward Stamford, Blizzard Watch Issued
- 2 Stamford Residents Warned To Prepare For Approaching Blizzard
- 3 18-24 Inches Of Snow Now Possible In Stamford; Blizzard Warning Issued
- 4 Stamford Dodges Worst Of Nor'easter
- 5 Bigger Storm Could Be Coming Soon After Fairfield Sees 6-7 Inches Of Snow