STAMFORD, Conn. -- A student from the University of Connecticut at Storrs was arrested on charges of breaking into a commercial building in downtown Stamford and shooting off a fire extinguisher, police said.
Chase Shostak, 20, was found inside the building early Saturday with covered with cuts and white powder with a fire extinguisher from a nearby building, police said.
Shostak, of 1568 Storrs Road, Storrs, who is originally from Augusta, Maine, was charged with two counts of first-degree criminal mischief and one count of third-degree burglary.
Police were called by an employee of a limo company after he heard a couple of loud bangs in the downtown building he was in at about 2:30 a.m. The employee also discovered damage to a door and white powder on the floors, police said.
When officers arrived, they also discovered fire extinguishers were missing, police said. Officers didn't find anyone suspicious and left the building, police said.
They were about to leave the area when passersby on Bank Street told them about a person nearby who appeared "out of sorts," said Sgt. Kelly Connelly.
Officers questioned the man who had cuts on his hands and white power on his shoes, police said.
"They discovered a fire extinguisher nearby and put two and two together," Connelly said, and they arrested the man. Connelly said it's unknown why Shostak was in the area or why he was in the building.
- 1 Update: Two Men Charged With Murder In Fatal Shooting In Stamford In 2012
- 2 Man Arrested After Chase Charged With Throwing Rock At Stamford Police Cars
- 3 Police: Stamford Woman Hid In Dumpster After Stealing From CVS
- 4 Dentist Involved In Stamford Medicaid Fraud Scheme Pleads Guilty
- 5 Death Of Fairfield Man Found On Island Off Westport Ruled Suicide