Home Site
Push Notifications
Contact Us
Stamford Daily Voice serves Stamford, CT


Stamford Daily Voice serves Stamford, CT

Nearby Towns

police & fire

Stamford Man Arrested As Police Break Up Melee In South Norwalk

Photo Credit:

NORWALK, Conn. -- A man from Danbury and a man from Stamford were arrested as police from several communities helped to break up a fight in South Norwalk involving about 600 people early Saturday, Norwalk police said.

The fight began shortly before 2 a.m. in the La Torch nightclub, according to police. Club security tried to break up the fight by spraying pepper spray, which caused the large crowd to spill out into the nearby Webster Street parking lot, police said.

Norwalk officers responded to the area and found about 600 people in the parking lot, police said. Many smaller fights started to break out among the crowd, and Norwalk police were forced to call in mutual aid from other departments.

The only two people arrested in the incident were Stanley Bruno, 29, of Danbury, and Christopher Bautista, 26, of Stamford.

While officers were trying to calm the crowd, a silver pickup truck was trying to leave the parking lot, police said. Bruno was driving the pickup truck, and Bautista was a passenger, police said. An officer tried to stop the truck, but it accelerated quickly and nearly struck the officer, police said.

The truck was eventually stopped, and police said the two were uncooperative with officers. Bruno was removed from the truck and became aggressive with officers, hitting one, police said. He was eventually Tasered and arrested, police said.

Bautista threw something on the floor of the truck, which was later revealed to be marijuana, police said. He was taken into custody.

Bruno was charged with second-degree breach of peace, second-degree assault, assault on a peace officer, reckless driving and interfering with an officer. He was held on $300,000 bond and will appear in court Aug. 18.

Bautista was charged with possession of less than 4 ounces of marijuana and interfering with an officer. He was held on $15,000 bond and will appear in court Aug. 18.

Additional officers from Stamford, Darien, Westport, Wilton, Metro-North and the State Police all arrived at the scene to help disperse the crowd and stop the fighting, police said.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Stamford Daily Voice!

This is a one time message inviting you to keep in touch

Get important news about your town as it happens.