STAMFORD, Conn. -- A Stamford judge has dismissed rape charges against a Norwalk man because the statute of limitations had expired, according to ctpost.com.
The charges were ultimately dropped because the statute of limitations on the alleged crime ran out in 1993, ctpost.com reported.
Muniz was accused of sexually assaulting a 19-year-old girl in August 1988. Muniz was never identified at the time of the incident, and suitable DNA analysis was not available.
The Connecticut Forensic Laboratory in Meriden reanalyzed the DNA data in October 2013 and received a hit on Muniz. A confirmatory DNA sample was taken from the suspect, and he was arrested in December.
The kidnapping charge against Muniz, however, was allowed to stand since there was no statute of limitations in effect, ctpost.com said.
- 1 Nor'easter To Impact Stamford On Wednesday
- 2 Man With Knife Robs Man Walking Dog, Stamford Police Say
- 3 Stamford High Principal, Assistant Apply For Special Court Program
- 4 No Injuries Reported In Car Fire On Merritt Parkway In Greenwich
- 5 Stamford's Backyard Humanitarian Conducts Annual Coat Drive