STAMFORD, Conn. -- Stamford firefighters dealt with a pair of small fires Sunday, including one in the ceiling at the city’s highway division building at 90 Magee Ave.
The damage was minor to the city building, Deputy Chief Ted Panagiotopoulos said.
Firefighters arrived at 7:30 a.m. Sunday after an automated alarm went off at the building. They discovered smoke and a small fire in a generator room close to the generator’s exhaust system.
The day before workers had been forced to manually turn off the generator after it had started for an unknown reason, he said.
Heat from the generator’s exhaust may have started a small fire that smoldered through the evening and set off the alarm the next morning, Panagiotopoulos said.
No one was hurt, and no city workers were present at the time, he said.
Later that afternoon, firefighters extinguished a blaze at a two-family home at 14 Randall Ave.
Panagiotopoulos said the fire started at about 5 p.m. in a pile of debris, including wood on the garage’s exterior. But how the fire started is unknown, he said.
“It’s been very dry, so it could have been from fireworks in the area, or maybe a cigarette, but we don’t know,” he said.
Part of the garage’s exterior was damaged as was a nearby fence, but the damage was contained to those areas, he said.
- 1 Man Arrested After Driving Drunk, Crash, Police Pursuit, Stamford Cops Say
- 2 Teens Charged With Using Stun Gun At Stamford High Summer School
- 3 Second Escapee David Sweat Shot By New York State Police, Now In Hospital
- 4 July 4 Terror Threat 'Nothing Routine,' Says Former CIA Deputy Director
- 5 Former Stamford Resident Resigns From Toyota After Drug Bust In Japan