STAMFORD, Conn. -- A man was transported to the hospital suffering from smoke inhalation after a fire broke out at his home at 26 Underhill St. in Stamford late Wednesday afternoon, a fire official said.
As firefighters continued to fight hot spots in the home behind him, Assistant Chief Mike Robles said the call initially came in as smoke in the basement.
"When the first crew got here they saw smoke pouring out of the (front) door," he said.
The firefighters went into the basement to put water on the fire when they heard what they described as "popping" sounds, Robles said.
"It turned out probably to be electrical, (there was) a big arc so they pulled out and we waited for the power company to come to shut the power off."
The fire was reported at about 4:30 p.m. as a passerby called 911 and a second alarm was sounded, Robles said. The home is located in an area close Stamford High School.
One firefighter was pulled aside for observation as a precaution due to exertion, he said.
A couple along with their daughter live at the home, according to neighbor Pamela Ciardulli.
"They are really nice people, they are very sweet," she said.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.