STAMFORD, Conn. -- Stamford firefighters are warning about the dangers of improperly disposing of ashes from a fireplace after a small fire early Thursday.
The fire burned a small 2-foot by 3-foot hole in a wooden deck at the Chesterfield Condominium Complex at 2289 Bedford St.
Firefighters were called to the scene at 1:08 a.m. after smoke detectors alerted the sleeping residents at the multi-unit townhouse community.
No one was injured, but the fire department warned that with colder weather more fireplaces will be used and cautioned about properly safely disposing of ashes.
On Oct. 10, a condo was destroyed at 71 Riverside Ave., due to improper use of a fireplace, the department said.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.