STAMFORD, Conn. — With the switch back to daylight savings time taking place Saturday night into Sunday morning, Stamford is once again reminding residents to change the batteries in smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
“Properly installed and maintained smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are the only thing in the home that can alert individuals and families of fire and carbon monoxide twenty four hours a day, seven days a week,” Thaddeus Jankowski, Stamford's director of Public Safety, Health, and Wellness, said in the release.
“We urge all Stamford residents to protect themselves and their loved ones. Properly functioning smoke and carbon monoxide detectors save lives,” Chief of the Stamford Fire Department Antonio Conte said in the release.
The city’s ordinance requires detection to be located as follows:
• A smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector shall be located on the ceiling or wall outside of each separate sleeping area in the immediate vicinity of bedrooms.
• A smoke detector shall be located in each room used for sleeping purposes.
• A smoke detector shall be located in each story within a dwelling unit, including basements but not including crawl spaces and uninhabitable attics. In dwellings or dwelling units with split levels and without an intervening door between the adjacent levels, a smoke alarm installed on the upper level shall suffice for the adjacent lower level provided that the lower level is less than one full story below the upper level.
On Sunday members of the Stamford Fire Department will be at the mall from 12 to 2 p.m. to remind people of the importance of having properly maintained detectors, the release said. For more information call the fire department at 203-977-5555.