STAMFORD, Conn. — Quick actions by Stamford firefighters prevented the spread of a fire in the walls of a condo at 637 Cove Road in Stamford late Sunday, according to the Stamford Fire Department.
Three engine companies were dispatched to the two-story condominium complex after a resident called and reported smoke coming from the apartment on the second floor, according to officials.
The first firefighters on the scene reported smoke coming from one of the apartments on the second floor, according to officials.
Crews entered the building and found smoke coming from the area of an apartment and an emergency exit sign, officials said. Further investigation led firefighters to go to the floor below, where they found fire in a bathroom of a first floor apartment, officials say.
Firefighters quickly extinguished the blaze and found that the fire had traveled up the inside of the walls, past the second floor and up to the roof area. Firefighters had to open a hole on the roof to extinguish the blaze there and prevent further extension of the fire. No cause of the fire had been determined by Monday, according to officials.
The fire was being investigated by the Stamford Fire Marshals Office No residents nor firefighters were injured during the incident, officials say.
The Red Cross was called to the scene to assist six to eight people with possible relocation.
During the fire operations, Stamford EMS was standing by, as well as Stamford Police to assist with Cove Road traffic, according to the fire department.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.