STAMFORD, Conn. — Three more men from New York have been charged in the assault-shooting incident that took place in downtown Stamford last month, a statement from the police department said. Two others were charged Wednesday.
Matthew Rose, 23, of Monsey; Ardian Gjeloshi, 24, of New City; and Gjon Kolnrekaj, 25, of Congers, were each charged with first-degree assault. Anthony Colangelo, 19, of Congers, N.Y., and Cedric Savinon, 23, of Valley Cottage, N.Y., face the same charge, police said.
Here is what happened, according to the police statement:
The suspects approached a man and woman walking on Broad Street. “Disparaging comments” were made to the woman, and the group attacked the man. The victim tried to retreat but was attacked and beaten.
He took out a gun and fired seven times, hitting two of his attackers. The group began beating him again after the shots were fired, until a car stopped and they ran off.
The two people hit sustained non-life-threatening injuries and were found close to the scene when police arrived.
The victim had a license to carry the gun, police said. The police department and the state’s attorney’s office had determined that he was acting in self-defense and will not be charged.
Each of the five men posted $25,000 bond. They were scheduled to appear in court Nov. 8.