STAMFORD, Conn. -- A 49-year-old man was arrested on charges of robbing a Robek's smoothie bar and a Subway sandwich shop while claiming he had a gun in the Fairway Market complex in Stamford on Saturday, police said
Gregory Curtner entered Robek's at about 5 p.m. Feb. 22 and demanded money from the register while claiming he had a gun, police said in a statement. Three hours later, he did the same thing at a nearby Subway, getting away with money from the register, police said.
Stamford officers followed up on information that a man fitting the suspect's description could be found at a rooming house at 41 Ludlow St., police said.
When officers arrived, Curtner had barricaded himself in his room, Stamford police Lt. Diedrich Hohn said. After negotiators spoke with Curtner through the door, he eventually emerged with cuts on both wrists in what officers called a suicide attempt, Hohn said.
While being transported to Stamford Hospital, Curtner admitted to the robberies and said he needed the money to support a drug habit, police said.
Curtner is charged with two counts of first-degree robbery and interfering with police. He was held on $150,000 bond.
- 1 Snow Could Be Returning To Stamford
- 2 Construction Worker Shot To Death At Road Work Site In Bridgeport
- 3 Police: Stamford Woman, 76, Beaten By Son Dies Of Injuries
- 4 Car Rollover On I-95 In Fairfield Requires Complicated Extractions
- 5 Former Stamford Man Suspected In Darien Cop's Death Arrested On Gun Charges