STAMFORD, Conn. — Officials have determined that a fire on Seaside Avenue in Stamford on Wednesday was caused by a fan that caught fire, according to the Stamford Advocate.
The fan had been left in an open window after one of the residents left the house in the morning, and when another resident heard a smoke alarm going off in the bedroom, she rushed in to find the fan was on fire, the Stamford Advocate reported.
Fire officials are still looking for the cause of why the fan caught fire, telling the Stamford Advocate that it could have been knocked over by a gust of wind and the motor could have shorted out, or the power strip it was plugged into could have also shorted out.
Two families consisting of nine adults and three children were displaced by the fire, according to the American Red Cross. Responders Richard Agatstein, Richard Rerra and Mike Vincelli responded to help the two families meet their immediate needs. The Red Cross has provided comfort kits with personal care items, as well as a recovery envelope with information to help families recovering from a fire.
Case workers from the Red Cross will also meet with the families in the coming days to work on a longer-term recovery plan.
Fire officials told the Stamford Advocate that smoke alarms played a crucial role in alerting the residents to get out of the house, and preventing damage from expanding past the one bedroom.
To sign up for Daily Voice's email news alerts, click here and select your hometown.