Contact Us
Stamford Daily Voice serves Stamford, CT
Return to your home site


Stamford Daily Voice serves Stamford, CT

Nearby Towns

Breaking News: Man Caught On Camera Attempting To Steal Cart At Sterling Farms Golf Course
police & fire

Early Morning Stamford Fire Blamed On Cigarette

STAMFORD, Conn. — A cigarette started a fire that burned through a bedroom early Wednesday at 66 West View Lane in Stamford, Nicholas Jossem, deputy fire marshal with Turn of River Fire Department, said.

Jossem said a one of the two women occupants left a cigarette in an ashtray on a bed while she slept. The woman awoke at around 6:30 a.m. and found a small fire in her room and tried to put it out, but the fire spread to the rest of the room, he said.

About 40 firefighters from Stamford Fire & Rescue, Belltown Fire Department, and Turn of River Fire Department responded, and put the fire out in about a half hour. Both women made it out of the house without injuries.

The home had heavy smoke damage upstairs and light smoke damage to the first floor, Jossem said. He advised both residents not to stay in the house and put them in touch with the Red Cross, but he said he was not sure what they planned to do.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Stamford Daily Voice!

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.