STAMFORD, Conn. -- The Stamford Police Association and New Hope Apostolic Church are sponsoring a Gun Buyback day on Saturday, Dec. 14.
The purpose of the program is to provide individuals with a safe and legal way to dispose of unwanted firearms and ammunition from homes and businesses before they can inflict an accidental injury or be stolen and used in a crime.
The Stamford Police Department will accept both operational and nonoperational firearms and other types of dangerous weapons along with ammunition, carry cases and holsters.
Return the unwanted items to Stamford Police Headquarters, located at 805 Bedford St., from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
In addition, the department will accept violent video games, movies and software.
Gift cards will be given for operational firearms, while supplies last.
The following rules apply:
- All firearms must be unloaded. Weapons should be transported in a vehicle’s trunk.
- If carrying by hand, place the firearm in a bag or a box.
- Ammunition should be transported in a container separate from any firearm.
- The program is open to both Stamford residents and nonresidents.
- Businesses and gun dealers do not qualify.
- Firearms considered to be junk will not be accepted.
If you have questions or are interested in sponsoring future programs, contact Officer Joseph Steyer at 203-977-4916.