STAMFORD, CONN. -- The case against a Norwalk driver who ran over a pedestrian two years ago has ended in a mistrial, according to a report by The Stamford Advocate.
Jurors deciding charges of negligent homicide with motor vehicle against Natalie Gainer declared themselves to be deadlocked forcing the judge to dismiss them Tuesday, The Stamford Advocate reported.
Gainer, 50, had struck and killed Janice Pielert in 2014 as the 58-year-old legal assistant was crossing at the intersection of Hoyt and Summer streets, police said.
According to earlier reports in the Daily Voice, Pielert was trapped beneath Gainer’s 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe and had to be extricated by emergency crews.
Pielert was unconscious, but alive, when freed. She died later at Stamford Hospital.
According to the Daily Voice report, Gainer also had also been taken to the hospital where she was treated for non-life-threatening injuries and released.
The tragedy occurred just two days after the city announced an initiative to improve traffic safety, the Daily Voice story said.
Three pedestrians had been struck by cars and killed in 2014 in Stamford.
Medical tests showed Pielert had marijuana in her system at the time of the accident, according to The Stamford Advocate report.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.