STAMFORD, Conn. — Update at 3:15 p.m.: Six people were taken to Stamford Hospital showing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, Assistant Fire Marshal Robert Sollitto said.
The initial investigation showed that the residents had a generator running in the basement of the townhouse condominiums at 11, 13, and 15 Leeds St., in the Cove area, after power was lost, he said. The three all share a basement but are three different residences, Sollitto said.
“That’s an absolute no-no, do not do that,” he said of using a generator indoors, adding that the generator belonged to one of the tenants.
There were others in the residence, but only six were being treated, and three were transferred to Jacobi Medical Center after showing more acute symptoms, he said.
The police department was assisting the fire marshal in the investigation, Sollitto said.
Original Story: STAMFORD, Conn. – Stamford Police and fire officials were investigating how 13 people became ill and were sent to the hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning Tuesday afternoon.
The people became ill after losing power in their Leeds Street home and turning on a generator, said Stamford Police Chief Jon Fontneau.