STAMFORD, Conn. — A 12-year-old boy was charged with reckless burning after allegedly starting a fire at Stamford’s Trailblazers Academy, Lt. Diedrich Hohn said.
The student was playing with matches in a school bathroom at about 8 a.m. Friday and lit tissues in a trashcan, Hohn said. The boy and another student tried to put out the blaze until one pulled the fire alarm, he said.
Both students were taken to Stamford Hospital, police said. The one charged with starting the fire was treated for smoke inhalation and minor burns to his hands, and the other was treated for smoke inhalation, Hohn said.
The fire was extinguished and caused only minor smoke damage to the bathroom, he said.
The boy was charged with reckless burning and reckless endangerment and released to his parents, Hohn said.
The other student was not charged, he said.
Trailblazers Academy on Lockwood Avenue is charter school with more than 170 students in grades 6, 7 and 8, its website said.