STAMFORD, Conn. - Tjerk “Jerry” Zwart Jr., a lifelong resident of Stamford, died Sunday, Aug. 3. He was 79.
Zwart was born June 22, 1935, in Stamford, to Tjerk J. and Elizabeth Romano Zwart Sr. He was a veteran of the Korean War, serving in the U.S. Army. He was employed as a prototype mechanic in the experimental dept. of Con Diesel of CT for 30 years until his retirement.
Zwart is survived by his sisters, Joan Wofsey and Gail Macari of Stamford; brother-in-law, Robert Pekar; and many nieces, nephews, great-nieces, great-nephews and cousins. He was predeceased by his parents; sister, Betty Lou Pekar; and brothers-in-law, Gerald Wofsey and Domenick Macari.
There will be no calling hours. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 11 a.m. Friday, Aug. 8, at St. Bridget of Ireland Roman Catholic Church, 278 Strawberry Hill Ave., Stamford. Interment will follow at St. John’s Roman Catholic Cemetery, Darien.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in Zwart’s memory to the Wounded Warrior Project, P.O. Box 758517, Topeka, KS 66675.
For more information, visit www.cognetta.com
- 1 Police: Stamford Man, 85, Hit Wife In Head With Ax In Dispute Over Food
- 2 Stamford Woman Killed In Motorcycle Crash On Route 7 In Wilton
- 3 Driver Injured As Car Goes Down Embankment Off Merritt Near Stamford Border
- 4 Stamford Man Charged With DWI In Head-On Collision
- 5 Stamford Man Charged In Assault On Darien Girlfriend