STAMFORD, Conn. – Donald F. Smith, a lifelong resident of Stamford, died Jan. 31 at Stamford Hospital, surrounded by family. He was 87.
Smith served as a firefighter for 30 years at the West Side Fire Station. He drove the Local 3 Engine for the city of Stamford.
Born Nov. 21, 1925, in Stamford, he was the son of B. Frederick and Florence Schaefer Smith. He graduated from Stamford High School in 1944 and served in the Army Air Forces from 1944 to 1946 as a corporal.
Smith was a member of the Springdale Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 9617 and St. Maurice Church, where he was an usher for many years. He was a former member of the Stamford AARP.
He is survived by three sons, Gerald F. Smith, Donald K. Smith and Thomas B. (Marielle) Smith, all of Stamford; a brother, Walter Smith, and his companion, Doris, of Stamford; and three grandchildren, a great-grandson and his close friend, Madaline Bolander. He was predeceased by his wife, Dorothy Hartnett Smith.
Visitation is from 3 to 7 p.m. Tuesday at Nicholas F. Cognetta Funeral Home in Stamford. A procession will leave the funeral home at 9:20 a.m. Wednesday for a Mass of Christian burial at 10 a.m. at St. Maurice Church in Stamford. Burial with full military honors will follow at St. John’s Cemetery.
In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to VFW Post 9617, P.O Box 4712, Stamford, CT 06907.
- 1 Prosecutor Slams Stamford Schools As Administrators Get Accelerated Rehab
- 2 Stamford Man Found With Images On Computer Faces Child Porn Charges
- 3 Elderly Woman Mauled By Dog Dies At Bridgeport Hospital
- 4 Stamford’s Cloonan Middle School Earns School Of Distinction Honor
- 5 Bridgeport National Guard Member Killed By Unsafe Lane Change, Police Say