STRATFORD, Conn. - Austin James Macniven of Stratford and formerly of Stamford, died April 17. He was 78.
Macniven was born Sept. 6, 1935, in Perth, Scotland, to James Davidson Macniven and Annie Strathearn Young (Clark) Macniven. He worked with his father who managed a butcher shop in Perth. He served apprenticeship with Mackay Decorators, a well known painting and wallpapering company in Scotland. He then served in the British Army for two years. He immigrated to Stamford and was a painting and wallpapering contractor. He also spent some time coaching Stamford Youth Hockey and played soccer as a member of the German Club.
Macniven is survived by his son, Scott Macniven (Patty); a granddaughter; brother, Sandy Macniven (Sheila); nieces and a nephew; great nieces and nephew; sister-in-law, Patricia (Anthony) Martello of Riverside.
Calling hours are Thursday, April 24 from 4 to 7 p.m. at Shippan's Thomas M. Gallagher Funeral Home (same building as Bosak Funeral Home) 453 Shippan Ave., Stamford, with a family service to be held in Scotland at a later date.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in Macniven’s memory to Stamford Youth Hockey Association or The Swedish Exchange Program c/o Patty Healy 27 Cousins Rd Stamford, CT 06903.
For more information, please visit: http://www.gallagherfuneralhome.com
- 1 Police: Cross-Dressing Man Charged In Stamford Mugging
- 2 Stamford Could See Overnight Showers Heading Into Last Day Of Summer
- 3 Stamford Resident Completes West Point Cadet Basic Training
- 4 Census: 18.6% Of Children In Stamford Are Living in Poverty
- 5 William Pitt Sotheby's Intl. Realty Plans Grand Opening In North Stamford