STAMFORD, Conn. - Anthony J. (Tony) Sapia, a lifelong Stamford resident, died Jan. 29. He was 85.
Sapia was born June 22, 1928; son of Alfonso and Josephine (Gellici) Sapia. He was a coach in Springdale Little League having coached during the 1960s to 1970s. He was a member of the Piedmont Club in Darien. He worked for Gaynor News formerly of Stamford for many years.
Sapia is survived by his son, Anthony E. Sapia (Cathy) of Port Chester, N.Y.; brother, James Sapia of Hamden; sisters, Anna Ofiero of Darien, Lucy Sapia of Rockyhill; two grandchildren; brothers-in-law, Louis DaPra of Norwalk, Vinny (Arlene) Bellissimo of Naples, Fla.; and many nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by his wife, Flora (Crane) Sapia; brothers, Frank Sapia, Joseph Sapia; and sisters, Rose Giglio, Katherine Sapia, Mary "Babs" Sapia, Frances Ambruoso and Jennie Smith.
Calling hours are Wednesday, Feb. 5 from 8:30 to 10:30 a.m. at the Lacerenza Funeral Home & Cremation Services, 8 Schuyler Ave., Stamford. A Mass of Christian burial will be celebrated at 11 a.m. Wednesday, Feb. 5 at the Sacred Heart Church, 37 Schuyler Ave., Stamford. Interment will take place in private.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the American Cancer Society, 38 Richards Ave., Norwalk, CT 06854.
- 1 July 4 Terror Warning Issued By FBI, Homeland Security
- 2 Second Escapee David Sweat Shot By New York State Police, Now In Hospital
- 3 Man Arrested After Driving Drunk, Crash, Police Pursuit, Stamford Cops Say
- 4 Former Fairfield University Basketball Player ID'd In Fatal Shooting
- 5 Teens Charged With Using Stun Gun At Stamford High Summer School