STAMFORD, Conn. — A standoff between police and a suspect with a gun led the news in Stamford this crime-filled week. Here is a look at what else took place.
▪ A bomb threat caused a temporary evacuation of the Stamford Superior court house Monday, however it was checked and reopened later that day.
▪ A search for a Stamford man ended when they found his body under an open window at the Pitney Bowes headquarters Tuesday morning.
▪ Stamford Public Schools appointed several current employees to new administration positions for the next school year.
▪ Police started investigating a possible ambush and shooting in the South End on Tuesday night and were searching for a red Jeep with either North Carolina or South Carolina license plates.
▪ A reported robbery turned into an embezzlement case after police found an employee of X Bankers, a check-cashing place on the West Side, had been taking money over several months from the location. An arrest waits as an audit is conducted.
▪ Police blocked off Stillwater Avenue and were in a standoff with a suspect who had a gun for about a half-hour before the suspect turned gave up peacefully. No gun was found, police said. But later that day, an acquaintance of the suspect was arrested at the same place, looking for the weapon himself and smashing windows with a bat.
▪ Police found themselves in the South End at another scene where shots were fired again Thursday afternoon, this time a masked man took two shots at another. No one was injured in the incident.
▪ Stamford Firefighter William O’Connell received the Ray Downey Courage and Valor Award, a national award, for his part in rescuing two people from an overturned boat last July.
- 1 Police: Drunk N.H. Man With Loaded Handgun Arrested At Gunpoint In Stamford
- 2 Metro-North Train Hits, Kills Man On Tracks Near Fairfield Metro Station
- 3 Stamford High Picks New Principal In Wake Of Teacher-Student Sex Scandal
- 4 Bear Drops In At Backyard, Country Club In Greenwich
- 5 Threat Of Tick-Borne Diseases Serious, Growing In Fairfield, Says Report