STAMFORD, Conn. -- With a storm forecast to bear down on Stamford, Mayor David Martin said the city will announce by 2 p.m. Thursday whether this year’s fireworks display will be postponed due to inclement weather.
The forecast currently shows a potential for thunderstorms on Thursday, the day of the event.
City officials will be monitoring the weather forecast closely in advance of the event and will inform the public as soon as possible should a postponement be necessary, the city said. Stamford has reserved Saturday, July 5, as a rain date for the event.
The event is planned to begin at 6 p.m. at Cummings Park, with the fireworks display beginning after sundown. The event is free of charge.
For information on the event, go to the city website.
The 2014 Independence Day Fireworks event was made possible as a result of corporate support announced last month. Stamford raised over $90,000 in donations from Garden Homes Management, RMS Cos., BLT and F.D. Rich Co.
The city's fireworks display, which had been restored in 2013 after a three-year hiatus due to budget cuts, was facing cancellation again this year due to fiscal concerns. As his predecessor, Republican Michael Pavia, did last year, Martin turned to private businesses for money to hold the event.
The estimated cost of the fireworks show, including pay for city workers and police officers, is expected to be about $110,000, of which the city will cover about $15,000.
As an extra bonus due to the high level of corporate support, the fireworks show is scheduled to be extended to 25 minutes from its traditional 20 minutes, Martin said.
- 1 Police Seeking Public's Help In Search For Missing Greenwich Teen Girl
- 2 Stamford Man Stopped On I-684 Charged With Driving Wrong Way, DWI
- 3 Stamford Board Of Ed Employee Charged With Sexually Assaulting Co-Worker
- 4 NBC Pressures New Canaan's Brian Williams To Quit, Says Report
- 5 'I Am A Woman,' Newtown High School Graduate Jenner Says In 20/20 Interview