STAMFORD, Conn. -- City of Stamford employees stepped it up in a fitness challenge as they recorded more than 23 million steps during a three-week period.
They are participating in a 10-week Health and Wellness Challenge with the goal of developing and sustaining healthier lifestyles.
The Wellness Challenge takes place over a 10-week period with five different challenges designed to encourage healthy eating, fitness, and weight loss.
One component of the Challenge was a step challenge in which employees were encouraged to take at least 5,000 steps a day. When the three-week step challenge ended, employees had taken a combined 23,209,788 steps.
“I was surprised but pleased to see so many of our employees participating in this challenge to get themselves on the path to a healthier lifestyle,” Mayor David Martin said. “And a little friendly competition never hurts. It will be interesting to see what the numbers are when the challenge ends, but we have been getting positive feedback and everyone participating seems to be having fun with it.”
A total of 43 teams consisting of four people are participating in the 10-week Wellness Challenge. Points are awarded for the team and individual for their performance in the challenge. Each team is competing in five individual challenges of differing periods of time, including challenges that last the entire 10-week period.
The challenges include:
- A Strive-for-Five, which asks team members to eat at least five servings of fruits or vegetables for a minimum of 35 days over the 10-week span;
- A steps challenge, which requires the employee to take an average of 5,000 steps per day for 21 days;
- A healthy meal challenge, where teams submit a healthy dish and a team spirit video;
- An Exercise Challenge, where employees are encouraged to exercise for at least 450 minutes over a three-week span; and
- A Weight Loss Challenge, where weight loss during a 10-week period is measured, based on percentage of body weight lost.
The Wellness Challenge is funded by CIGNA Insurance. Participants were provided with FITBITs and temporary memberships to the YMCA.
The Steps Contest recently concluded and employees averaged over 1 million steps a day, with a total of 23,209,788 steps over a 21-day period. The exercise minutes will also be totaled to determine the combined time spent exercising by participants. Team and individual winners will be announced the week of Nov. 23.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.