STAMFORD, Conn. -- Here are some of the stories that topped the news in Stamford this week:
- New Mayor David Martin reached into the ranks of retired officers and appointed former Assistant Fire Chief Peter Brown as the new chief for the city of Stamford's Fire Department.
- Four people were killed and 63 injured after a Metro-North passenger train derailed in the Bronx, N.Y., near the Spuyten Duyvil station. The engineer was reportedly suspended without pay.
- UConn chemistry professor Gabriel Fenteany, 46, was placed on administrative leave after he was charged with vandalizing "high-end cars" while drunk in Greenwich.
- Alexander Scott Lee, 21, was arrested in connection with the car accident that killed Weston cyclist Thomas Steinert-Threlkeld in October, police said.
- New Canaan’s Kelsey Durkin, a senior at Washington and Lee University, was killed in a car accident in Virginia near campus.
Fairfield resident William Dong was charged in West Haven after walking on the University of New Haven campus with guns, police said. Articles on mass shootings were found in a search of his home, police said.