Contact Us
Stamford Daily Voice serves Stamford, CT
Return to your home site


Stamford Daily Voice serves Stamford, CT

Nearby Towns

Breaking News: Man Caught On Camera Attempting To Steal Cart At Sterling Farms Golf Course

FBI Continues To Look Into Stamford Woman's Mental State

Satellite trucks line Washington Boulevard in Stamford Friday as officials continue to investigate the incident in Washington, D.C., Thursday involving a Stamford woman.
Satellite trucks line Washington Boulevard in Stamford Friday as officials continue to investigate the incident in Washington, D.C., Thursday involving a Stamford woman. Photo Credit: Greg Canuel

STAMFORD, Conn. – More reports of mental health issues troubling Stamford’s Miriam Carey came out Friday, as officials continue to investigate and look for a motive in the car chase around the nation’s capital Thursday that ended in her death.

No official reports have been released by the FBI, which is leading the investigation, regarding Carey’s motive in the bizarre incident. Carey’s family and local law enforcement officials have said she was suffering from mental health issues. She had also been taken for a mental health evaluation after a previous incident with police, according to a CBS News report.

Family members said Carey may have believed that President Barack Obama was watching her via surveillance and communicating with her. She had also previously called herself “the prophet Stamford,” sources told the Hartford Courant and other news agencies Friday.

She was reportedly taking medication, including an anti-depressant, for her mental health issues of psychosis and postpartum depression, NBC New York reported .

Eric Sanders, a New York-based attorney representing the Carey family, confirmed that her family had identified her body in Washington on Friday.

Carey, 34, was a registered dental hygienist. Few of her neighbors seemed to know her or know much about her.

Carey was employed by Dr. Barry Weiss, a Hamden dentist, who told NBC Connecticut that he fired her in August 2012 after patients complained that she was too rough. He said she appeared increasingly stressed after an unplanned pregnancy.

Federal and local law enforcement searched Carey’s condominium in the Woodside Green complex late Thursday night. Stamford authorities have not commented publicly on the case, stressing that the matter is a federal investigation. Investigators reportedly removed boxes and a computer from her home.

“Stamford Police are assisting federal authorities as needed,” Mayor Michael Pavia said in a statement Friday.

Law enforcement teams left the scene early Friday morning. Dozens of residents had been evacuated during the search, and they were allowed to return to their homes. Media teams from around the country stayed on the scene well into the afternoon, trying to interview neighbors and passers-by.

Carey, 34, led police on a chase through Washington on Thursday after driving into a security fence outside the White House. She was shot to death by police after a chase to the Capitol. He 18-month-old daughter was in the car and survived the incident unharmed.

The father of the girl reportedly had told police last year he feared for his daughter's safety, according to NBC Connecticut .

Stamford Mayor Michael Pavia said Stamford police were assisting federal authorities as needed in the investigation, which he said was led by the New Haven-based Connecticut Joint Terrorism Task Force.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Stamford Daily Voice!

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.