Contact Us
Stamford Daily Voice serves Stamford, CT
Return to your home site


Stamford Daily Voice serves Stamford, CT

Nearby Towns

Breaking News: Girl Caught Bringing Loaded BB Gun To School In Fairfield County

Downtown Stamford Club Closes Doors After Shooting

Oscar Moreno, manager of the former Tino's nightclub and restaurant, shakes hands with Stamford's Public Safety Director Ted Jankowski, while Mayor David Martin looks on. From left are Chief Jonathan Fontneau and Alice Lei, Tino's co-owner. Photo Credit: Frank MacEachern
Jeffery Parker, left, and Jerry Boccanfuso, of Nuconn Construction, remove the "Tino's" sign after the nightclub owners decided to give up their liquor permit and close the nightclub after a shooting outside it early Sunday that wounded five people. Photo Credit: Frank MacEachern
The "Tino's" sign sits on a platform after it was removed as the nightclub owners decided to give up their liquor permit and close it following outrage about a shooting Sunday that wounded five outside. Photo Credit: Frank MacEachern

STAMFORD, Conn. -- The co-owner of the now-closed Tino's nightclub and restaurant, outside of which a man shot and wounded five people early Sunday, said she plans on reopening but didn't say when or what the business would be.

"We will do a new face and come back again," Alice Lei said Tuesday shortly before a ceremony where the nightclub's name was removed from the building. She promised that more details would be released at a future date. "Later, we will tell you all about it."

She and co-owner Alex Poon voluntarily surrendered the establishment's liquor permit after outrage over the shooting early Sunday outside the 84 W. Park Place establishment in Columbus Park.

Dayron Marquis Wills, 22, of Stamford, is charged with five counts each of first-degree assault with a firearm, first-degree reckless endangerment, unlawful discharge of a firearm and possession of marijuana in the incident. He is held on $1 million bond.

Police said he pulled out his legally owned handgun and fired 10 shots into a crowd outside Tino's during a dispute with a man over a woman. The five injured people suffered non-critical injuries, police said.

Business owners had complained that noisy and rough crowds had attended privately promoted parties at Tino's since it opened about three months ago.

On Tuesday, in a noontime ceremony, Nuconn Construction workers Jeffery Parker and Jerry Boccanfuso took down the nightclub's name to the delight of the onlookers. Columbus Park business people gathered in front along with Mayor David Martin, Police Chief Jonathan Fontneau and Downtown Special Services District President Sandy Goldstein,

Goldstein welcomed the owners' decision to surrender the liquor permit and discontinue the nightclub. The downtown district "has no tolerance for any kind of negative after hour or during hour bar behavior and our actions today and the incredible cooperation of the owners of Tino's proves it," she said.

Police will increase patrols later in the night to deter any other violence, Martin said. He said Stamford is a safe city.

"Our crime rate is less than half of the next closest city in Connecticut," he said.

Oscar Moreno, Tino's manager, and Alice Lei stood with the mayor and the other officials.

"We are not happy with what has happened in the past," Moreno said after the ceremony. "We were not expecting this to happen but it did happen and as you can see we took action to make this a safe place."

The fight and shooting occurred outside of Tino's, he said, and everything was under control inside the club. He added that they cooperated fully with police, including handing over video.

He agreed with Lei that the business will reopen but said it is still up in the air what it will be.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Stamford Daily Voice!

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.