STAMFORD, Conn. -- The Hoyt-Barnum House, which was picked up from its downtown home in November and redeposited next door to the Stamford History Center, is now open for tours.
The historic structure was moved to make room for a new police station.
The 1699 Hoyt-Barnum House now at 1508 High Ridge Road, considered the city's oldest residence, is representative of the Second American Building Period, post 1675.
The people who built the house were the children or grandchildren of Stamford’s founders. It is believed to have been built in 1699 by Samuel Hait (or Hoyt) whose grandfather, Simon Hoyt, settled in Stamford after 1649. Samuel’s father, Joshua, was an active member of the Stamford community in the 17th century.
The 713 Bedford Street property where the historic museum used to stand was deeded to Joshua Hoyt in 1668.
The video above, which documents the move of the historic home last fall, was made by David Klein of DEK Creative through a matching grant from the Connecticut Humanities.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.