STAMFORD, Conn. -- Stamford is looking for artists to help kick off a special outdoor sculpture exhibit starting in the summer.
Stamford will present "Street Seats in Stamford Downtown" as part of Art In Public Places throughout downtown Stamford from June to August. City officials are looking for local artists to create, paint, sculpt and decorate wood benches that will be displayed during the show. Artists can submit their designs for the exhibit for jury and possible sponsor selection.
Representatives said the benches will arrive as unpainted wood sculptures "ready to be transformed by selected artists" and at the end of the exhibit, the benches will be auctioned and a portion of the proceeds will go to a charity, yet to be determined.
Street Seats in Stamford Downtown is similar to the Cow Parade, Art-0 Mobiles, Stamford Safari, It's Reigning Cats & Dogs and Horsin' Around Stamford Downtown.
"To date, ... previous events raised almost a half a million dollars for selected charities," city officials said. "The exhibit will once again engage the talent of the local and regional art community and captivate the imagination of young and old alike."
The application deadline is Feb. 14. For more information and to download an application, residents are asked to call 203-348-5285 or visit the Art In Public Places website.
- 1 July 4 Terror Warning Issued By FBI, Homeland Security
- 2 Second Escapee David Sweat Shot By New York State Police, Now In Hospital
- 3 Man Arrested After Driving Drunk, Crash, Police Pursuit, Stamford Cops Say
- 4 Former Fairfield University Basketball Player ID'd In Fatal Shooting
- 5 Teens Charged With Using Stun Gun At Stamford High Summer School